Why do only 5% of Lyft drivers make over $1,000 a month?

I read the statistics recently and I was shocked. I I always assumed the average for monthly income through these services, especially Lyft, was $1,000 but apparently it is $377. It just seems so low all things considered.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Whatsapp Pocket
May 5, 2020 3:16 PM

Some people don’t realize that working as an Uber or Lyft driver gives you the opportunity earn more money than you would think. Even those who already drive may be surprised at how much more they can make. Some Uber drivers waste time and fuel driving back and forth searching for clients, then complain about low income and say that it’s impossible to make $1,000 a week.

May 19, 2020 9:17 PM

I make around $400 to $500 a month only driving on the weekends. If I didn't work a full time job, I could easily earn $1,000 a week and then some. Most drivers do this part time. I think the average hours for the average driver is something like 8 hours a week.

May 22, 2020 12:07 AM

I’ve been driving full-time for 2 1/2 years averaging 50 to 60 hours (week) behind the wheel. I have never earned anything remotely close to that after expenses - which are HUGE. I’ve sometimes brought home about 900 to 1000 a week, but keep in mind that is pre-tax (which is 35% at tax time), pre-gasoline (which is about $1000 a month), pre-mileage (which is about 1000 miles a month), a $70 oil change every month, weekly cleaning/detailing required to avoid “dirty car”/low rating & complaints (which can get u deactivated)…the expenses of this job full-time are just astronomical.

June 11, 2020 1:59 PM

You can earn more, depending on the area you live in but you have to cover the costs of most of the expenses yourself so you end up realistically only earning 40% of what you make when all is said and done so someone earning $1000 a month is likely only earning $400 realistically.

July 23, 2020 7:07 PM

It takes a lot of time and money to actually earn good. Unless you know someone to get discounts or free services for your car from, you are likely only taking home half pf what you own. The other half goes back into your car.

July 23, 2020 7:37 PM